Dropbox is a free web-based application that enables you to save and store files, documents or pictures across the internet. You can then share them with others if you wish.
Key features and benefits of Dropbox
- There are a range of services or options to choose, starting with free storage up to 2GB and also offering further features and storage up to 100GB, for which there are fees.
- Because your files are stored on remote servers and accessed via the internet, they can be accessed anywhere.
- Your files are stored securely and you give access only to people that you wish to by using a password and username.
- Storing files remotely can also be a way of backing up your information rather than having everything on your computer. Then if your computer does develop a fault, you can still access your stored information from Dropbox.
- Storing files remotely can also be beneficial as it stores everything in one place, particularly if you have a number of computers or media devices.
- Further information can be found at www.dropbox.com.
Karen Maxwell is a Digital Unite tutor and assessor/trainer of computer accessibility.