Google is a search engine that can be employed to find a variety of information such as websites, pictures, maps or even just the answer to the crossword clue that’s been driving you mad all morning!
Google uses a computer program called a 'web crawler' that looks at the billions of websites available on the World Wide Web and examines their content to find 'keywords'. Then it indexes these to make the websites easier for the search engine to find. So if you type the word ‘holidays’ in the search box, for instance, Google will then show you all the websites with holiday information.
Google's key benefits and features
- There's a simple search box into which you can type your query.
- Answers are provided almost instantly.
- You can choose to search for websites, images, news, maps and much more.
- It will make suggestions for alternative search terms if you misspell a word or name.
- You can do searches just in the UK or all over the world.
- Google has also produced its own web browser, Google Chrome. The company has a huge commercial side, creating and placing the adverts you often see on websites. In addition, Google Analytics is a free service that can provide an enormous amount of information on how a website is working.
Google's safety features
- Enable SafeSearch to filter out mature content
- Browse the web in private
- Limit access to just approved apps and games on your tablet
This guide was last updated on 26/07/2018