The internet is a wonderful resource for information. Almost anything you need to know can be found there. But it’s also a great place to have fun.
Many websites offer a collection of fun games and puzzles for you to play. Whether you like card games like solitaire, jigsaw puzzles, old-style arcade games, skill games such as driving, shooting or ball games, against-the-clock games, adventure games, word games, or different kinds of puzzles – you’ll find them all online.
Most you play solo or ‘against the computer’, but with some, you can connect to a network of online players and play against actual people. There are also good sites that have games for kids that can help them learn or improve their computer skills.
Try these games and puzzles – they’re all free!
- Facebook - If you have a Facebook account, you can play hundreds of games. With some, you can run your own town, farm or restaurant – like the extremely popular Farmville. Or you can access sites like Mindjolt – a collection of hundreds of different games. You can also play Scrabble with your friends or challenge them to beat you in Bejeweled Blitz. To find games, click Game Requests in the left-hand column on your Facebook page. If you can’t find the Game Requests link, click More next to the Apps list. You’ll find then a list of ‘Recommended games’ , ‘Newest games’, or games that your Facebook friends are playing.
- UK Games.com - Many different kinds of games, including ones that you can play live against other people.
- Free Online Games - A website with a vast arrange of games of different genres.
- Game Garage - More than 1,000 games to choose from.
- Crossword Puzzles - A massive collection of different kinds.
- Also a crossword solver site can help with those tricky clues.
FreeGames.org - Play full screen games on desktop, tablet or mobile without downloading or installing anything.
- Friv - It may be a little daunting to look at but this website has a huge collection of games to try. Just click on one of the thumbnail pictures to access one.
- PuzzleMonster.com - This site offers a range of puzzles, from brain teasers, logic puzzles and visual puzzles to word puzzles and trivia.
- Paint by number puzzles - This type of puzzle requires you to complete a grid by working out logically whether the squares in the grid are blank or should be filled in.
- Countdown Game - Based on the TV programme, with the numbers puzzle and also the challenge to choose letters to make the highest-scoring nine letter word you can. Though no Carol Vorderman to help on this version, unfortunately!
- Quiz-zone - Challenge your friends, set up your own Quiz night or just test yourself with this range of trivia questions. 100’s of topics including music, history, nature and much more.
Here are some great games just for children
- CBBC and CBeebies - Both feature games suitable for children that are based on the characters and shows they’re familiar with from the BBC TV channels.
- Games4Children.co.uk - A collection of games for children aged six to 12. It’s an English version of the Belgian site ‘Nicoland’.
- GirlsgoGames - Designed for younger girls, but anyone can play the free games on this site.
Siobhan O’Neill is an experienced freelance writer living in Surrey.